The European Association of Distance Teaching Universities (EADTU) is the leading institutional university network for online, open and distance higher education. It is at the heart of innovation in the European Education Area, and in particular in the European Higher Education Area.
European online, open and distance higher education maintains an openness to learners through three critical features:
EADTU's mission is to empower and support its members by:
EADTU members share a commitment to equality of opportunity, the lifelong development of talent, and to meeting the needs of the economy, culture and civil society in Europe at regional, national and pan-European levels.
In order to achieve EADTU’s mission over the coming years, we propose the following 10 strategic objectives.
1. Develop a vision for the role of blended, online, open and flexible education in the development of European higher education, and influence European policy in accordance with that vision.
2. Promote high quality online, open and flexible learning within the European learning space, to identify and serve the target student groups for online, open and distance learning.
3. Taking the leadership in the area of online, open and flexible education and sharing its expertise and experience to empower European universities in the deployment of online education
4. Contributing to the EHEA by the integration of continuous education and MOOCs and by developing on line models of international collaboration for university networks (e.g. networked courses/curricula and online/virtual mobility, international distributed classrooms)
Community of expertise
5. Be a valued source of information and policy intelligence to members.
6. Develop and maintain tools and services of benefit to members
7. Develop and maintain models for cooperation between members
8. Extend the scale and scope of active participation of members in the work of EADTU
Brand and reputation
9. Strengthen the brand of EADTU
10. Strengthen the position of EADTU through partnerships with other European and international organisations
We see these objectives as inter-relating and mutually reinforcing. The performance of the association will be reviewed annually against these objectives, which will themselves be kept under annual review and updated as necessary.