Mission and Strategy
EADTU is Europe's leading institutional association for open and distance higher education, and is at the heart of the modernisation agenda of European universities. We are committed to the creation of a European Learning Space in accordance with the Bologna Declaration and the ET2020 Strategy.
European open and distance higher education maintains an openness to learners through three critical features:
- Student-centred teaching based on high quality learning environments;
- Openness to learners through flexible, inclusive structures and methods that take higher education to students when and where they need it, increasingly but not exclusively through online technologies;
- Networked education and mobility, where students can learn across national, sectoral and institutional boundaries.
EADTU's mission is to empower and support its members by:
- Fostering the development of open and flexible higher education;
- Developing and sustaining sectoral leadership at national, European and international level;
- Leveraging its QA capabilities by creating an internationally recognised quality system in open and flexible higher education;
- Supporting the extension of learning opportunities and student mobility through networking and collaboration between institutions;
EADTU members share a commitment to equality of opportunity, the lifelong development of talent, and to meeting the needs of the economy, culture and civil society in Europe at regional, national and pan-European levels.
Strategic Objective 2013-2018
In order to achieve EADTU's mission over the next five years, we propose the following nine strategic objectives.
- Develop a vision for the role of open and flexible education in the development of European higher education, and influence European policy in accordance with that vision
- Promote high quality open and flexible learning within the European learning space, to identify and serve the target student groups for open and distance learning
- Taking the leadership in the area of open and flexible education and sharing its expertise and experience to empower European universities in the deployment of online education
Community of expertise
- Be a valued source of information and policy intelligence to members
- Develop and maintain tools and services of benefit to members
- Develop and maintain models for cooperation between members
Brand and reputation
- Extend the scale and scope of active participation of members in the work of EADTU
- Strengthen the brand of EADTU
- Strengthen the position of EADTU through partnerships with other European and international organisations
We see these objectives as inter-relating and mutually reinforcing. The performance of the association will be reviewed annually against these objectives which will be kept under annual review and updated as necessary.
Read more about our scope of work in the Message of Hagen (2015).